Have you ever heard your parents or grandparents talk about the Baby Boomers? Or Generation X or Y? Those are names given to people born in a certain time frame – a generation – and each generation usually has its own group of characteristics. Your generation – people born between about 1995 and 2010 – is called Generation Z. Generation Zers don’t know what life was like before the internet. In fact, 96% of 12 – 17 year olds in the United States use the internet at least once a month
What else are they saying about your generation?
- The “popular girls” will care less about brand names and more about their own personal style.
- You love to share what you know and what you think about a lot of different things, and it’s easy for you to do with the internet.
- Your lives are more structured than your parents were, and it is predicted you will be responsible adults with high social values.
- You will be smarter than generations before you.
So what can YOU do to get noticed in your generation? Developing the below skills will help you stand out in a crowd:
- Make sure you have good verbal communication skills. This means practicing your public speaking and being comfortable talking in groups.
- Be patient. Today, people expect things fast, but patience really is a virtue, and if you learn to be patient you will have a skill not many others have.
- Learn how to talk to people. Any people, whether they are your friend or not, whether you have things in common with them or you don’t. Learning to carry a conversation with people you know little about (or may not even like!) is a skill fewer and fewer people have, especially with so much communication being done on-line.
- Learn how to work with a team.
- Have confidence! Get out of the house and do things. Whether it’s playing a sport, volunteering, or just helping around the yard, getting out and getting involved is a great way to build confidence in yourself.
So, does this sound like you? Tell us what you think!